Welcome to the Irvington Community Council website. Please use any of the links above to find out more about our community or the council.
History of Irvington
Irvington was founded by Jacob Julian and Sylvester Johnson, who developed 300 acres into residential plots four miles east of Indianapolis. Named after 19th century writer Washington Irving, the Irvington was annexed by the city of Indianapolis in 1902. Western Christian University (now Butler University) relocated to Irvington in 1873 and stayed there until 1928.
About the Council
Founded in 1970, the Council is a 501(c)3 organization that provides a voice to the city on Irvington issues such as public services and zoning and works to improve the community and the lives of its residents. Highlights of the Council’s efforts include the annual Halloween Festival, Town Hall meeting and Luminaria as well as the Spring Event. The Council meets monthly, except for December, on the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the basement of the Irvington Presbyterian Church, 55 S. Johnson Avenue. The public is encouraged to attend. The Council is made up of members from four districts and at-large members. Elections are held in May of odd numbered years. Councilors serve two-year terms.
- Closure of the Indy East Motel
- Renovation of IPS school 57
- Historic design of neighborhood Starbucks
- Historic designation
The District of Irvington
Irvington is a suburb of Indianapolis located on the western edge of Warren Township, approximately five miles east of downtown. The district is roughly bounded by:
- North: East 10th Street
- East: South Kitley Avenue and North Edmonson Avenue
- South: Brookville Road
- West: Emerson Avenue
A portion of Irvington has been designated as a historic district which is roughly bounded by:
- North: Pleasant Run Parkway, South Drive on the north
- South: the northern edge of the B & O Railroad right-of-way
- East: the west curbline of Arlington Avenue on the east
- West: the east curbline of Emerson Avenue on the west